Looking for a comprehensive and automated backup procedure for your Land F/X server?
Please try This Article.
- Why Back Up?
- Backing Up Land F/X Projects, Templates, and Preference Sets
- Backing Up Your Projects While Updating Land F/X
- Restoring Land F/X Projects, Templates, and Preference Sets
- Backing Up Your Details
The core technology behind Land F/X is the ability to associate additional data with an object in your drawing. This is what allows Land F/X to make a simple block act as a tree, a sprinkler, or a detail reference. All this additional data is stored in a database, external to the to drawing. It's imperative that you recognize the importance of this data and that you back it up with the same vigor with which you back up your drawings.
The Land F/X Projects dialog box includes two important features, Backup and Restore, that work together to organize and access your Land F/X projects and templates.
- Backup: Create a backup copy of your project on your computer, an external drive, or the Land F/X server. This tool provides a safeguard against losing data from your Land F/X projects, such as your plant palette. It also allows you to archive your projects at specific milestones, divide your work into phases, and create variations of the same project.
- Restore: Download, import, and reactivate Land F/X projects once you have backed them up. The Restore feature allows you to access your Land F/X projects when you move computers or re-install Land F/X. If you have created various versions of your project using Backup, the Restore tool allows you to open those versions.
Backing up your work is always a good idea, but it's especially important with Land F/X. Follow this link to learn more about the importance of backing up your project data.
Backing Up a Project
A Land F/X project is stored in a .lfx file. This file contains all data you've added to the project, including:
- Irrigation equipment
- Site amenities
- Hardscape items
- Reference Notes and detail reference data
When working remotely on a drawing that is associated with a project, you'll need to bring that project's .lfx file with you just as you bring the .dwg file. If not, you'll be unable to access the project data.
We understand that the distinction between a CAD drawing and Land F/X project can cause confusion. For more information, please see our page describing the difference between CAD drawings and Land F/X Projects.
To back up a project, open our Projects tool from one of the following locations:
F/X Admin ribbon
F/X Admin toolbar Admin Data toolbar
F/X Admin menu
or by typing FX_ProjectFiles in the Command line
The Land F/X Projects dialog box will open.
To back up a project, highlight it in the Projects list and click Backup.
The Backup Project dialog box will open. Here, you have several options for backing up your project data.
1. Backup project to LandFX.com: Archive the project to LandFX.com under your Company Support ID.
2. Backup project to LFX file: Export the project to a .LFX file.
3. Backup Details: Export the details contained in this project.
4. Backup all projects: Create a folder in LandFX/Data/Backups with all your projects backed up. This option also backs up all your Preference Sets.
5. eTransmit projects and drawings: Create a folder, in the location where your CAD drawing is saved, which will include Land F/X project data.
6. Make project Read-Only: Mark the current project as Read-Only. A Read-Only project is immediately backed up and then removed from the active project list. It is also marked Read-Only to prevent any future changes. For more information and instructions, please see our Read-Only Projects page.
7. Delete project: Delete the project from your database. (This option will only be available after you've selected the export method.)
Once you've selected your desired option, click OK to back up your project. A .lfx file containing the most recent data from the project will be saved in your selected location.
Backing Up a Template
To archive and restore templates, use the same procedures as Backing Up a project, but select a template rather than a project from the list.
Sharing Projects With Co-Workers
If you don't have a central office server, you may need a way to share your Land F/X projects with co-workers. You can do this by using Backup and Restore. Simply back up the latest version of your project, save it to a folder that also contains the associated .dwg, and share that folder with your co-worker via a flash drive, Dropbox, or whichever method you choose. Your co-worker can then Restore to access the project when that .dwg is open, which will associate the .dwg with the latest version of the Land F/X project.
Then, if your co-worker makes any changes to the project (adds plants, for example), he or she can then use Backup to share the project back with you. You'll Restore, and voilá! You now have the latest version of the project.
Backing Up Your Preference Sets
Selecting the Backup all projects option when backing up your projects will also back up all your Preference Sets.
Your Preference Sets will be saved as .lfx files in the same folder where your projects are backed up.
Our Backup tool is also tied to a checkbox in the Update dialog box. Open our Update tool from one of the following locations:
Any of the F/X ribbons (example, F/X Admin), Update flyout
F/X Admin pull-down menu
F/X Admin toolbar
or by typing *FX_Update in the Command line
If you are not running the current version of Land F/X, the Update Land F/X dialog box will open.
When you update to the latest version, check the Backup All Projects box to back up your projects to the location of your choice.
Video Resources for this article
Think of Backup as exporting, or saving, a project or Preference Set, and Restore as subsequently importing it. Restore also allows you to activate projects that have been made inactive.
Because templates and Preference Sets, like projects, are stored as .lfx files, restoring a template or Preference Set involves the same steps as restoring a project. Learn more about Project Templates and Preference Sets.
To restore a project, template, or Preference Set, click the Restore button in the Land F/X Projects dialog box.
The Restore Project dialog box will open. Select one of the following options:
1. Download: Download an archived project from LandFX.com.
If your office has cloud data, this option will be grayed out.
2. Import: Import a Land F/X project from your computer, your office server, an external device, or a shared network folder such as Dropbox.
3. Activate: Activate projects that have been made Read-Only with the use of our Backup tool. Clicking Activate will also create an automatic backup of the project in the folder LandFX/data/backup/(today's date).
Restoring a Template
When restoring a project template, you'll be asked for a project number.
Use the template title with no spaces, then click OK.
The template will now appear in your list of projects.
Highlight it and click Save as Template.
|The template will now appear in your list of saved templates.|
You can now safely delete the template from your list of projects.
Scroll back up to the template's title in the list of projects – not the list of templates at the bottom of the dialog box.
Highlight the template in the projects list and click Delete.
Please note that our Backup feature does not back up your details. To keep your details safe (which we highly recommend), please follow our instructions to Back Up Your Details.