Virtual reality is rapidly transforming the way we experience media, but it can also be an incredibly useful tool for professionals who design spaces. Imagine being able to walk through your landscape plan and experience it before spending a single dollar on construction. This possibility can have a profound impact on how you make design decisions and share your design ideas with clients. We’ll go through what you need to know about virtual reality hardware, and show you a few tools you can use to bring your 3D models to virtual life.
Note: The following catalog of content covered in this webinar is time stamped to allow you to follow along or skip to sections of the video that are relevant to your questions. You can also search for content on this page using the FIND command in your browser (CTRL + F in Windows, Command + F in Mac OS.)
- Introduction to Virtual Reality
- Brief VR History
- What is VR?
- How Can VR Benefit You?
- VR Hardware
- Setup Overview
- Explore Some Useful Applications
0:00 – 3:32: Intro/TOC
3:33 – 6:50: Introduction to Virtual Reality
Brief VR History (3:33)
What is VR? (5:38)
- Simply put, virtual reality (VR) is a computer-generated environment.
- Unlike traditional media, the user is placed inside the experience.
- Instead of viewing a screen in front of them, users are fully immersed and able to interact with the 3D environment.
How Can VR Benefit You? (5:59)
- The power of VR allows you to immerse yourself, colleagues, or clients in a 3D model of your design.
- Benefit from being able to walk around in a landscape or architectural design and experience it before construction.
- Make design decisions based on virtual experience.
- View videos of sites recorded with 360-degree cameras or panoramic photos.
6:51 – 14:30: VR Hardware
Common VR headset types (6:51)
Popular hardware options (9:42)
14:31 – 16:49: Setup Overview
Paul’s hardware (14:40)
Files used (15:29)
16:50 – end: Explore Some Useful Applications
Enscape setup (18:57)
Enscape experience (20:17)
VR Sketch (26:28)
VR Sketch setup (26:41)
VR Sketch experience (29:12)
Sentio VR (37:15)
Sentio VR setup (39:49)
Sentio VR experience (43:18)
Google Earth (45:26)
Google Earth setup (47:04)
Google Earth experience (47:50)
Tips for minimizing disorientation or nausea for viewers (51:30)
Brief discussion of Twin Motion and Lumion (53:12)