Join us to review F/X CAD 2024, the latest version of our Autodesk OEM platform for use with our Land F/X plugins. For those just discovering F/X CAD, we'll explain what makes it different and why it's an affordable choice for Land F/X offices. For existing users, we'll also cover all the new features exclusive to 2024.
Note: The following catalog of content covered in this webinar is time stamped to allow you to follow along or skip to sections of the video that are relevant to your questions. You can also search for content on this page using the FIND command in your browser (CTRL + F in Windows, Command + F in Mac OS.)
- About F/X CAD 2024
- Who should Use It?
- Key Differences
- Key Changes Review
0:00 – 5:11: Intro/TOC
5:12 – 13:32: About F/X CAD 2024
Supported versions (5:21)
What is F/X CAD? (6:59)
- Only for Land F/X users (requires an active Land F/X License)
- Command-limited version of AutoCAD (OEM)
- Similar to AutoCAD LT
- Sold and supported by us
- Requires us to change the name, but it's a genuine AutoCAD engine
- PC only (run on Mac through Parallels or VMware Fusion)
What F/X CAD 2024 can't and can do (10:02)
- Run Complex AutoLISP – with Dialog Boxes (DCL), ActiveX (vlax), ARX or other extensions.
- Install add-ons (M-Color, Carlson, AutoTURN, ProjectWise, ArcGIS)
- Import Geolocated TIFF
- Rendering, Lighting, 3D
- Autodesk 360, Cloud Seek, Content Service, App Manager, Material Library, Inventor Fusion, Cloud & Mobile services, DWG Compare
- Use Autodesk Traces and Markups
- Run without a Land F/X License
- Be installed on more than two machines, or have a second installation used by another person.
- Open/Save any version of DWG, DXF, DGN
- Run basic AutoLISP scripts
- Geolocate plans
- Insert Raster Images
- Use Live Maps
- Import/Export PDF
- View Civil 3D, Survey, Architectural and Mechanical proxy objects (contours/topo)
- Any AutoCAD command you regularly use
- Command-line Auto-complete
- Sheet Set Manager
- Access 3D Connection for Revit, SketchUp, and Rhino
- Customize interface & shortcuts (+importing, exporting)
- Tech support through us!
13:33 – 18:04: Pricing
F/X CAD 2024 is now subscription (13:33)
- 2023 was last perpetual license
- Support for 2023 will stop Dec 31, 2027.
What does this mean?
- Initial purchase is now $775 instead of $1595
- Annual subscription cost, also $775, is required to run F/X CAD 2024
- You can remain on 2024 for 3 versions/years before needing to upgrade.
- $775 F/X CAD subscription does not include your Land F/X license renewals (Design F/X, Planting F/X, Irrigation F/X)
- F/X CAD subscription does still include Tech Support for CAD issues with Land F/X.
- You can upgrade all subscription seats to the latest version of F/X CAD as soon as it's available (but we do recommend waiting a few months for updates).
18:05 – 20:54: Who should Use It?
Who Should Switch to F/X CAD? (Almost Everybody)
- Those who are dedicated Land F/X users, and will be maintaining their Land F/X license long-term.
- Sole practitioner or small firm looking to reduce costs, used to using AutoCAD LT or AutoCAD without add-ons.
- Mid or Large-sized firm looking to reduce costs by having some users on F/X CAD, and only those trained in Civil on Civil 3D.
- Anybody wanting to stay up-to-date at a reduced cost, with the security of knowing F/X CAD will only be released when it's confirmed compatible with Land F/X.
- Those who've experienced the difference between other CAD support and Land F/X support.
20:55 – 26:30: Key Differences
Activation & serial number (22:09)
Background processes running (23:10)
Sizes of F/X CAD and AutoCAD installations (23:33)
Quick Access Toolbar (25:51)
26:31 – end: Key Changes Review
- Basic AutoLISP Support
- It can run basic AutoLISP scripts like those that are command-line only, but not complex AutoLISP scripts like those with Dialog Boxes (DCL), ActiveX (vlax), ARX or other extensions.
- New File and Layout Tab Menus
- See all open files and active file
- Save all
- Close all
- Layouts – Select all Layouts
- Performance Analyzer
- Insight into potential causes of the slowdown by recording a little bit of time of you working in the drawing and showing which Xref is slow.
Why upgrade from F/X CAD 2023 to F/X CAD 2024? (26:31)
- More incremental adjustments to updates and changes.
- New features each year and flexible access to new versions.
- Consistent budgeting.
- Much lower up-front cost means adding/dropping licenses year to year with staff changes is a simpler decision.
- Interface will match our most recent Training videos.
- You'll have the same version our tech support staff is using – helps answer questions and solve issues more quickly.
- Encourages your office to keep up with computer maintenance.
Overview of new features (31:57):
- Basic AutoLISP support (31:57)
- New File and Layout Tab Menus (33:17)
- Performance Analyzer (34:43)
Demonstration of new features (35:15):
- F/X Scale by Reference (36:13)
- PDF Import and Attach Image (36:40)
- File tab drop-down (switching between drawings, New Drawing, Save All, Close All) (38:04)
- Layout tabs drop-down (38:52)
- Performance Analyzer (40:13)
- Basic AutoLISP support (44:41)
Quick discussion on running F/X CAD on a Mac (you won't be able to use Local Data, and you'll need a virtual machine on an app such as Parallels, but otherwise it will work just fine on a Mac) (55:21)