Welcome to our Rhino documentation section. Rhinoceros 3D (aka Rhino) is a powerful 3D program that can turn your site design into a vivid 3D rendering. Your Land F/X license gives you access to both the Land F/X 3D Connection (available in CAD) and the Land F/X Rhino plugin (available as a free download from our website).
Rhino is a separate piece of software from AutoCAD or our plugins. Need Rhino? Download it here.
Our 3D Connection works on Rhino 6 for Windows. On a Mac? Use virtual Windows software such as Parallels or VMware Focus.
Resources for Rhino
Do you use Rhinoceros (Rhino) and wish you could get your CAD tree and shrub design in there for some stunning visuals? Now you can. Land F/X has a plugin for Rhino that allows you to go back and forth between multiple platforms, making edits to all your production drawings seamlessly. This Power Tip shows you how to get started right now.
Why beta, and what does it mean for you?
We're so excited about our Rhino plugin that we wanted to give it to you as soon as possible, as a beta version. What does that mean for you? It means you have the chance to be part of the development process. Although we won't be able to offer full support for the Rhino plugin, you'll be able to help us discover and work out some of the inevitable kinks.
As with all our products, we invite you to send us a technical support ticket to let us know about any issues you encounter. Keep in mind that our development team will likely need more time than usual to build a solution.
Get Help from the Land F/X Community
Although we will provide as much assistance as possible, it's always a good idea to reach out to other Land F/X users who, like you, have chosen to be pioneers in the Rhino frontier. We encourage you to use the Rhino Plugin section of our Community Forum to ask questions. Another user may very well have run into the same issue and may be able to help. Forum posts tend to factor prominently in beta releases, and we want to make sure you're covered.
Getting Started with Rhino
Before you can bring your designs between CAD, SketchUp, and Rhino, you'll need to complete a few setup steps, as well as get to know our 3D Connection. Here's how to get started.
Download and install the Land F/X Rhino plugin, which drops some essential tools into Rhino and allows you to connect with CAD. This article includes a video.
- Set up your Rhino Library folder, where you'll store all your Rhino-related content. Note: This step is also covered in the Rhino plugin installation instructions. We've also included specific instructions for the library folder. You'll need to download the library and set the library location.
- Our 3D Connection is included in your Land F/X installation. It allows you to send blocks and layers between CAD, SketchUp, and Rhino. Learn how it works and how to use it to turn your CAD drawings into 3D models.
- It's imperative that your units be set correctly and consistently in CAD, SketchUp, and Rhino. Learn how to set the units in Rhino and CAD. (coming soon)
- Set a User Coordinate System (UCS) in your CAD drawing before bringing it into Rhino.
- Additional Rhino Resources: Need help learning Rhino? Find it here.
Did you know that you can use your own custom symbols in our Rhino plugin? Find out how.